Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I’ll try to find you some and I’ll bring them to ya


Sarah Palin was interviewed by Katie Couric today. 5:40, if you want to watch the Palin-Couric perky-off



She defended McCain campaign manager Rick Davis, saying he “recused himself from the dealings with Freddie and Fannie, any lobbying efforts on his part there.” Since Davis was being paid by Freddie Mac, I don’t think she knows what the word recused means.

WHAT SHE’S ILL ABOUT: “I’m ill about the position that America is in and that we have to look at a $700 billion bailout.” CBS, whose transcription was a touch spotty, has that line as “I’m all about the position that America is in”.

She claims that “Americans are waiting to see what John McCain will do on this proposal. They’re not waiting to see what Barack Obama is going to do.” She’s right: for the last several days I for one have just been sitting on the living room floor in my underwear waiting to see what John McCain will do on this proposal, without eating, sleeping, bathing. The cat is getting worried about me.

I kid. Of course the cat isn’t getting worried about me.

She says we may be on the road to another Great Depression (Palin says that, not my cat).

Asked to name examples of John McCain leading the charge for stricter oversight in the past 26 years, bar one mention two years ago, Palin said “That’s more than a heck of a lot of other senators and representatives did for us.” Pushed further she added, irrelevantly, “He’s also known as the maverick though, taking shots from his own party... trying to get people to understand what he’s been talking about - the need to reform government.” Pressed again by the perkily persistent Couric for actual, you know, examples of that mavericity in relation to financial oversight, she again dodged, whittering on about his “foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities.” Asked one last time for concrete examples, she meekly replied, “I’ll try to find you some and I’ll bring them to ya.”

I know the McCain people insisted that in the veep debates responses be limited to 90 seconds, but I think Palin will find that 90 seconds can be very long indeed.

(Update: is it just me or, when Palin said that last line, did she sound just like Catherine O’Hara playing some clueless but chipper character in a Christopher Guest film?)

No comments:

Post a Comment