Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A lot of meetings on important subjects


At the G8, Bush met with Chinese President Hu Jintao.

HE’S THE REMINDERER: “I told the President I was looking forward to coming to the Olympics. I reminded him that not only am I coming, but my wife, my mother and dad will be there, and we’re looking forward to your hospitality.”


WHAT HE AND HU HAVE CONSTANTLY HAD: “And of course, in this context, I -- the President and I have constantly had discussions about human rights and political freedom.”

ESPECIALLY THE FREEDOM TO WATCH HIM SOME HOOPS: “And I’m hoping to get tickets for the U.S.-Chinese basketball game. If you could help me get a ticket, I’d appreciate it.”

Finally, he summed up the summit.

WHAT GEORGE WOULD CALL THE MEETINGS: “We’ve just finished our meetings here in Japan. I would call them very productive.”

“See, George? I told you you weren’t allowed back here.”


IN OTHER WORDS: “In other words, we had a comprehensive agenda on helping those who are being affected by disease live healthy lives.” Except for the, you know, disease.

WHAT THE NATIONS SITTING AROUND THE TABLE HAVE GOT. FOR ONE THINGS, THEY’VE GOT A TABLE: “The nations sitting around the table have got much, and I think we’re required to help those who don’t. Pledges are important. Those have been -- you know, oftentimes in the political process people talk big, but they never follow up.” The phrase “compassionate conservative” somehow springs to mind.

HE’S THE REMINDEDER: “And so one of the key ingredients of these recent meetings was all of us need to be reminded that when we say we’re going to do something, we got to do it.”



DID THEY AGREE IN THOSE EXACT WORDS? “We also agreed that on high energy prices that we got to deal with both on the supply and demand.”

OFFSHORE AMERICA: “The Democratic leaders in Congress will not allow us to explore for oil and gas in parts of Alaska, offshore America, and now is the time for them to change their mind.”

WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE: “We also -- I’m firmly -- believe that we can do this kind of exploration in environmentally friendly ways.”

IN OTHER WORDS: “In other words, this was a -- you know, a lot of meetings on important subjects, and we accomplished a lot.”


No comments:

Post a Comment